10 September 2011

Roatan, Honduras Green Meteor 10SEP2011

Roatan, Honduras Green Meteor 7:20pm 10SEP2011
At 7:20pm last night I saw a big fireball streak down to earth from the sky. The fire ball was white orange in color with a long tail behind it. I was facing due east at the time from my location of mid island, the island of Roatan, Honduras. It reminded me of an ember falling from a large firework but much much bigger and brighter. I posted the sighting on two of the local discussion groups and got a reply from a gentleman who lives more easterly down the island who saw this as well. My best guess is that it landed in water, I did not hear or see the impact as it went behind a large hill that I face, definitely not a shooting star as this came down to earth, what ever it was. It was neat to see though. -Linda Brown

PS: I forgot to mention its tail was quite green in color, bright again like the fire ball but a lot of green in it....why is there green showing on meteorites when the appear?
-Linda
Thank you Linda for your kind report!

Date and Time of event? Location name (town,city) where you were when saw the meteor? Start and Stop location in sky? Direction of movement? Duration of Event (seconds)? Brightness ( in comparison with Venus, Moon, Sun) color, sounds? Photos? Videos? please email LunarMeteoriteHunter@gmail.com Your reports make it possible for all to check what they saw as well. Thank you! 2011 Year of Meteors!